The Redemptorists, officially known as the Congregation of the Most Holy Redeemer, trace their roots back to 1732 when they were founded by St. Alphonsus Liguori in Italy. Their mission is to proclaim the Good News of Redemption especially to the most abandoned and, in particular, the economically poor.
The group, popular from the very start because of their saintly and charismatic founder, soon spread from the shadow of Mount Vesuvius throughout the Italian peninsula. In the late 1700’s, Redemptorists began ministries in German-speaking regions as well as in Poland. They came to the United States in 1832.
The Redemptorist skill of understanding and being able to minister to immigrant populations made them the logical choice when in 1860, Bishop James J. Duggan, 4th Bishop of Chicago, called upon them to help solve the disputes and problems raging in the German immigrant eight-year old St. Michael’s Parish in Chicago’s Old Town neighborhood. The members of the Congregation of the Most Holy Redeemer have staffed and brought visionary leadership to our parish for over 145 years.
Redemptorists staff many Catholic parishes and are known as outstanding mission preachers, retreat masters, and parish missionaries.
To learn more about the Redemptorists: www.redemptorists-denver.org
Background information obtained from The Catholic Encyclopedia. © 2003 by Kevin Knight published on-line at www.newadvent.org
Saint Alphonsus Maria de Liguori, founder of the Congregation of the Most Holy Redeemer.
"Copiosa Apud Eum Redemptio"
(With Him is Plentiful Redemption)